Best of 2018 – Oklahoma Photographer – Melanie Foster Photography
I’ve officially been Melanie Foster Photography for seven years now, and the past two have been the most transformative and life-giving of them all. When I first started, I was working towards upgrading my equipment, getting experience, and mastering the technical side of things. In 2015 and 2016 I focused more on perfecting my posing and lighting. And in 2017 and 2018 I found myself pouring time and thought into developing my processes and the high-end experience I provide to my clients. My move back to Oklahoma in late 2016 and attending the Katelyn James Workshop in Virginia in June of 2017 were two major turning points in my business. I think so many things really started to click for me through those two decisions and as a result, I found a steadiness and confidence in who I am and what I am doing.
I’m in a good space – I absolutely ADORE my business, and I hope that never changes. I hear from so many other creatives about burn out and over-working themselves and while I know that everyone’s situation is different, I’m thankful that photography is so life-giving for me. My busy seasons (March – May & September – November) are quite insane, but I am able to maintain my passion and love throughout, recover well in my off season, and find a balance.
On the personal side of things, I’ve been keeping track of a few random “checkpoints” of life the past 12 months. I was inspired by my friend Brooke McManus who posted a wrap up at the end of last year and I loved the markers she tracked. Here are a few of mine, along with some of the highlights from 2018!
- I started 2018 in an AirBNB in Atlanta, GA next to my best friend with a glass of champagne in hand! We were visiting for Passion Conference! I’ll never forget watching the Sooners lose in the Rose Bowl on opening night on our phones haha.
- I finished 6 books, my favorite being Meaning of Marriage by Tim Keller. I tend to start books and then never finish them, so I made it a point to actually read these all the way through!
- The book of Lamentations made it’s home in my heart this year. Ephesians is my all-time favorite in the bible, but it has a rival! I have never been more rooted in or fed by God’s word than I was this year.
- As far as struggles go, I learned and am still learning about how much I deal with perfectionism and pride. I can’t believe I lived 25 years of life without realizing this about myself, but now that I am aware, I’m able to pinpoint a lot of areas that are effected by these tendencies.
- I visited Atlanta, Kansas City, Houston, Tulsa, Aspen, Nashville, and NYC in 2018. Heading back to Nash at the end of January, but that’s all I’ve got on the calendar so far! I think I need a new place to explore 🙂
- I ended 2018 at one of my best friend’s weddings and it was the absolute BEST kickoff to the new year. I had more fun celebrating Emily & Tanner than I could have ever dreamed – it was a freaking blast.
- Other highlights: I bought a house, started Orange Theory, celebrated three of my best girlfriends get engaged, and served 68 clients!
- Next up: my 26th birthday and graduation/senior season! Let’s do this 2019!
See you soon, friends!
Share this post: